Monday, April 18, 2011

Santiago Sierra

This is a link to one of his works at the Tate Modern where he paid homeless women, with a nights accommodation, to stand facing a blank wall in the gallery.
It poses questions of exploitation and true artistic conceptualisation when the subjects' inclusion is paid for rather than voluntary.

1 comment:

  1. Thought I'd just put my two cents in. I know that it raises all those very intelligent questions about exploitation and such, but this lady obviously took the money and stood there. She's doing it for reasons that are her own and to judge the work as if speaking for her would be wrong as far as I'm concerned. But as always we, being university students would be shot if we didn't take an idea and fully exploit every possible conceptual angle and apply it to every aspect of contemporary art and life. Nothing can be just taken at face value without seeming too 'stupid' or two dimentional

    ReplyDelete